Saturday, October 9, 2010

Am I Cheap???

Okay, I need to vent a little bit here. While we were in the hospital after having Lilly, a photographer came around and offered to take pictures of the baby. We knew we'd be roped into having to buy something, but we let her anyway. The pics turned out great so we bought a package deal that gave us a big frame with 3 5x7 pics in it to put on the wall, and with that came a free sitting for a free 8x10 portrait later on. That was only around $75 and we thought it ended up being a fair price since the pictures were amazing and it was in a really nice frame with glass and matting. Well, we finally let them come over around the 1st of October to take pictures of our cutie. For some reason, Lilly decided her tongue was her favorite thing that day, and for every smile, stuck it out at the camera lady. It was cute, but it wasn't her good smile! Lol... Anyway, the photographer gets done taking the pictures and then says that in a week and a half or so, someone would call me so we could do an online meeting and view all the pics online. I said ok. Well yesterday was that day, and the lady calls me for our meeting. She had done some editing on some of the pictures to let me know "all the wonderful things we can do for you and your beautiful baby's pictures!" Well, needless to say, the pictures turned out AMAZING! So I definitely wanted to buy a few. As the conversation wears on, the lady starts telling me about the package "deals." I said wellllll really we would like the disc with all the copies, how much does that cost? She told me they couldn't sell just the cd of them, but I could buy a package with it included. The CHEAPEST package that that would be would have been...you guess... 369.99!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?! Now, I'm kind of an impulse buyer, and have been known to make some random purchases for no reason other than the salesperson made me feel special. :) But FOUR hundred dollars?! That's absurd!! Now, I'm not ragging on anyone who can afford to spend that kind of money on their pictures, but we really can't afford that right now. The lady was appalled that we wouldn't buy anything, and said, "I just can't believe that you are letting money stand in the way of something wonderful for your family to enjoy...these are memories that you'll NEVER get back...blah blah blah blah." She ended up getting kind of pushy... she even took a lot of the prices down and it sounded like a pretty good deal, but we'd still end up spending over 200 dollars for it...when all we wanted was the CD. She even asked, "Well I sense that YOU want these pictures and memories, is it your husband who won't let you?" She was trying to pit me against my husband? Who does she think she is?! Now, I've had my share of pushy salesmen, but WOW...this lady took the cake. I was offended by how she acted and it ultimately made me not want to buy anything from her...ever.

Now I can understand maybe spending a bit on family photos every year and what not, but for one sitting? When Lilly is 6 months old? This lady wanted us to buy a few HUGE wall portraits...like 10x20 size, 20x20 size... I'm like, uhhh sure they'd be cute now, maybe ONE, but not four or five?! Because then she looks different like every month!! Ugh, I was so annoyed. Someone please tell me I'm not a terrible, cheap mother who lets MONEY get in the way of her child's happiness? Because that is the way this lady made me feel. Grr.....

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm a cheapskate too... :)

Jessica & Paul said...

Your not a horrible mother! I think she's crazy too!

Trevor & Andrea said...

O my crap you guys get played by terrible salesmen in washington! THAT would ANNOY ANNOY me! NO youre not a bad person fot not wanting to break the bank over a few pictures! HOLY SMOKES I am cheap too

Shelly and Kellan said...

I would have just laughed at her and said I think diapers are more important right now don't you? Click! Dumb sales person anyhow!!

Nick & Lindi said...

That is one STUPID CRAZY DESPERATE lady!! I would have had a lot of not soo nice things to say to her about that!Do NOT listen to anything she said... you are NOT cheap!! :) o... and you are a good mom!

Destiny said...

Um that lady is nutso. It's nice to have professional photos, but if I recall all cameras take pictures. All of which are equally cute of Miss Lilly! Don't feel like a bad mom, you are doing a wonderful job!