Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Canning Questions....

Okay, so I've just bought two boxes of peaches. I have been wanting to get into canning...and I was curious what people's ideas were on the subject? I plan on doing mostly fruits since there are so many sales going on here with lots of fruits. I also want to get into canning salsa and jams and stuff too...maybe some veggies after a while... BUT I've had different ppl tell me lots of ways to do it!! Some say steam canning is the way to go, although you can only do fruits and like salsa with it...not veggies. And others say that pressure cooking is the way to go...but it's dangerous? I found a Presto 23 qt thing online that is a pressure cooker and also a regular canner... so it's both... Then I found a water bath/steamer online too. AH! Someone help me!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

KB I use a steamer when I can fruit.Things that acidic you do in a steamer or hot water bath. You have to pressure cook things like green beans, potatoes, carrots. Any thing that has come in contact with dirt. Correct me if I'm wrong Peggy.